Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Food Inc. and Tierney's Cafe and Tavern

Ok, now I'm done reminiscing and will start blogging about the here and now.

Saturday, the hubby and I spent a VERY lazy day at home watching movies and catching up on TV shows. We must have run out of material because we ended up watching this documentary called Food Inc. It was about where our food comes from. They talked about feed lots and chicken farms which are horrible, but I already knew that. It also talked about how corn in some way, shape or form is in almost everything we eat and some things we don't eat (like batteries). The government basically pays farmers to grow corn and then scientists have to figure out what to do with all the surplus. Which is how we got things like high-fructose corn syrup and all kinds of engineered sweeteners and starches.

The food industry is pretty much controlled by 4 or 5 huge mega-companies. This wouldn't be so concerning if they didn't treat their farmers badly and if they weren't so protected by the FDA and USDA. I'm not nearly educated enough to make an informed decision on this topic as I'm sure the documentary was very one-sided; however, I do think that supporting local farmers, although a small gesture, might make a difference and definitely can't hurt.

So...in an effort to be locally conscience, Billy and I chose to eat at a local Lewisville restaurant Saturday night rather than a chain.

We found this great little restaurant called Tierney's Cafe and Tavern. I'm sure they get their meat and produce from the same places the chain restaurants do, but we're taking small steps. It's in a cute little house a few blocks away from Old Downtown Lewisville. One of my favorite things is that they showcase local artists on the walls and every piece of art I saw was for sale. One particular artist kept catching my eye, R'Lene Winters.
The place was packed so we knew the food must be good. And it was! I got the avocado salad and a cup of baked potato soup. Delish! Billy got the prime rib rare, but they were out of rare so he had to settle for medium rare. But that was ok because they gave us a free dessert to go to make up for it. We got the strawberry cream pie at the recommendation of the waitress. O...M...G. I don't think Billy cared for it much, but I am still thinking about it. I am determined to find the recipe and recreate it on my own.

Sunday morning we met some friends for breakfast at the Old West Cafe in Denton. Again very very good. Highly recommend both restaurants! Tierney's also serves Sunday brunch which I'm anxious to try.

Oh and on a side note, we also watched a documentary called Walmart: The high cost of low price. I really don't know where we can shop or what will be left for us to eat if we keep watching these documentaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment