Thursday, May 2, 2013

For My Dear Friend Cathy

I doubt anyone reads this blog. I started it a LONG time ago. I don't even remember why. I guess just to document our life, kind of like a diary... That everyone can read?!? Not sure what I was thinking.

So why this post after 2+ years of blog silence? Well, I got an email from my dear friend Cathy!

Who is Cathy?
Cathy was my roommate in college and is one of my best friends even though she's in the Peace Corps in Benin (that's in Africa). I keep up with Cathy on her blog, Treadling In Benin. Cathy is the most unique, adventurous, kind and creative person I know. If you don't believe me just read her blogs. If you don't like sewing or don't have any interest in other cultures, then A) WTF? and B) get outta here. OR C) just wait a minute and I'm sure Cathy will move on to something that does interest you (Dried Fruit Rings are perhaps more up your alley?). Except for the culture part so if you really don't like other cultures, refer to B above.

So I feel like I know all about Cathy and her life in Africa, but the last she heard from me I was living in Texas about to make a big move to WV. I didn't know what kind of job I'd have or where we'd be living. Or anything! So, as any good friend would after so many months of no talk, Cathy emailed me to see how life is going. Since I know all about Cathy through a blog, I'm responding to her in kind. Here you go, Cathy!

Some background: My husband, Billy, got his PhD in December and got a job at WVU in Morgantown, WV. We moved up here just after the new year.


The House
We found the cutest little two bedroom house on Craigslist. I was SO nervous signing a lease without having seen the place in person. I was afraid it was in a bad part of town or surrounded by undergrad party houses (Princeton Review's Top 20 Party Schools). I was also worried about the parking situation because there's not a lot of it in Mo-town. For some reason people don't believe in driveways around here. Everyone parks on the street. And since it's a college town, you can have 4 people living in a house with spaces for 2 cars. So this issue, combined with the fear of being in the wrong part of town was enough to give me serious anxiety. As we drove up to the house for the first time, the GPS took us through some really windy and skinny streets to get there and my heart about dropped a couple times thinking I had made a huge mistake. BUT it turned out perfect!

Our house is on a pretty skinny street, but not super narrow and it doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.


It sits up on a hill so we have a beautiful view from our kitchen and second bedroom (and shower). The only issue with being on the hill is when I go for a run, my only option is to run downhill so the last quarter mile of my run is always straight up hill. But it's good for me!


The house is old, but the owner has remodeled it somewhat. I wish they hadn't covered up the oak floors with laminate, but I suppose they had a reason. The previous renters didn't bother to remove nails and screws from the walls, so I just hung my pictures where there was already a nail. It worked out ok it some places.


We have a great backyard. We feed the birds and the deer eat what the birds drop. I guess it's slim pickin's in the winter. And we're trying to grow a garden at the bottom of our yard where it's flat. Deer are a problem.


We also have an attic AND a basement! Genius! I love storage!


The best part of all is the porch- now that it's warmer!


Winter in WV
So moving to WV from Texas in January wasn't the brightest idea, but we survived. Here's a few pics from our first winter!

Job Situation
My job in Dallas was kind enough to let me work remotely until I found a job in WV. And that's what I've been doing for the past 4 months! I just can not find a job. I've applied to countless jobs, all different types. I've been on a few interviews, even had a second interview at one place, but never got a call back. I do have an interview today and an interview on Monday so maybe one of those will pan out. Working from home isn't too bad though. I got a little stir crazy during the winter but now that's it's spring I kind of like it.

Here's my workspace:

But now that it's warmer, I like to work from my side porch in the afternoon.


AND I can read on the back porch during my lunch break.


I guess I have it pretty good!

Rumpus does too.

Spring in WV
We did a lot of complaining during the winter, but Spring almost makes it all worth it. I've never seen so many so beautiful flowering trees.  We've planted a few herbs and are trying to plant a garden, but the deer keep eating our little plants. Rumpus is learning how to be an outdoor kitty and climbing trees! And the view is even better!

But I do miss those bluebonnets.

And these little guys!


And You! Love you, Cathy!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU! But there's one more cliffhanger. Rumpelstiltskin. Whatever happened to him? Please tell me he has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait, I see Rumpus now. Never mind. He was so dark I thought it was a coat or something on your laptop. WOW he's grown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Yeah, that's the problem with a black kitty! He doesn't photograph very well! He's loving his new home! Spends most of his time laying outside in the sun or laying inside on his chair. He might have killed a mole/shrew/thing last night, but we can't be sure he didn't just find it.

    ReplyDelete